September 24, 2008

DEJA VU: It's Late and The Emperors Are Still Naked

When the second plane hit the second tower, I was angry--and stunned with the realization that we were in big trouble. I was angry at Bin Laden, but those who were paying attention knew he hated us and was hell bent on carrying out another strike within the US, and very likely on the World Trade Center. An attempted strike was to be expected. So, I was even more furious with those whose job it is to protect and preserve the nation. They had failed, and failed without excuse. They failed because of an astounding myopia rooted in arrogance and lust for power. It was no "failure of imagination." It was a moral failure.

So, I wondered, when the second plane hit the second tower, how these same leaders who failed so badly before 9/11 could possibly provide the leadership we needed after 9/11. I remember talking about that with friends, and expressing grave doubts about the ability of our politicians to lead us in the right direction in the wake of such a grave event.

And now, here we are again--in a dire crisis--with no one to look to but the same people who got us here. What will our leaders do? Last time, Bush, Cheney, et al, had a ready scapegoat who was ultimately captured and hanged. Americans were sold a bill of goods, and most were satisfied by the sacrifice of the scapegoat.

This time, it won't be so easy for them.

Hang on tight; the Empire is starting to implode.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi, I'm glad you found my "Booker Blog!" I will visit your page often - in other words ... I AGREE ...

Often, big change hurts, but it's time, and long, long overdue.

Post a Comment