March 19, 2008

A Whole Lotta Racism

I'm weary of hearing people argue about Barak Obama's skin color. This morning, I found myself yelling at the TV, "What is wrong with all you pinheads? Why is everyone so obsessed?" Then I realized.

IT’S 2008
AND A BLACK MAN COULD BE PRESIDENT


Every radio and TV broadcasts the incessant voices of
People of every color and political persuasion
Saying stunningly inane and ignorant things
About the color of his skin
And what they think it means.

Suddenly, we are hemorrhaging racism,
Like puss bursting from a quarter million wounds.

OK, then.
Let's get it out.
I'll show you mine, if you show me yours.

Slop it on the walls.
Fling it on the ceiling.
Dig it out from the corners
Where we tried to hide it for a dozen lifetimes.
Go ahead,
Stomp around and slip and slide in
It.

Get it in your hair and on your face and up your nose.
Pay no mind if it stinks and stains your clothes.
Let’s get it out there in the air for everyone to see and feel.

Maybe then
We heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment