July 13, 2010

How Will You Vote in November?

I got the quote below from a comment posted on Op Ed News. I assume the attribution to Bill Maher is correct, but no matter who said it, it's worth repeating. This was part of a discussion about whether or not it makes sense to vote for Democrats in November. That's a hot topic in the blogosphere, and I don't have anything to add. Heck, I'm still trying to convince myself that's worth voting at all, after 40 years of faithful voting, believing it was my civic and patriotic duty. It feels like a joke now.

In the words of Bill Maher,

We have a center-right party and a crazy party. Over the last 30 years, the Democrats have moved to the right, and the Republicans have moved into a mental hospital.

One woman in the Op Ed News discussion commented that she would rather vote for an "honest Republican" than a Democrat in name only. Seriously?! An honest Republican? When is the last time anybody saw one of those???

Alas, I'm sure I will vote in November, only because we have to keep the Right at bay as much as we can for as long as we can. Then, again, an argument could be made that we may as well let the dam burst wide open, let the chips of right-wing neofeudalism fall where they may, and hope it results in the drastic, cataclysmic correction we must have for the human race to survive. Either way, it's a tough decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment